Monday, June 7, 2010

Almost There!!!!!

We are ALMOST THERE!!!!! Meaning we are almost to the finish line my friends. My mom (aka Nina), Nathan and I headed up to Atlanta this morning for his post-op visit. This visit always entails stitches removal -- not a favorite of Nate's BUT he did so great today. Maybe it was knowing that this is the last time we will go for this type of appointment or maybe it was just the fact he has now done this 4 times, either way minimal tears were shed.Quick picture before the bandage comes off.
This is Bella, she is Dr. Jones's nurse. She does all of his stitches removal after surgeries, Nathan usually likes her a lot EXCEPT on days like today ;). But he always warms back up to her minutes after its over.

As you can see the swelling of the whole ear is back -- but obviously that is supposed to happen, he just had major surgery. The tragus is VERY swollen and over the next couple of weeks will start to lay down as the swelling subsides. Again, Dr. Jones assured me that we will be surprised at how much the ear changes over the next 2 years.

Last but not least --- rewrapping of the new ear. We are now home with only our right ear covered, which means I can finally turn the volume down on the T.V. -- this bandage will come off on Thursday of this week (I will take it off here at home) and that my friends will be one of the happiest days of our lives. NO MORE SURGERY, NO MORE BANDAGES!!!! But he will have..........TWO BEAUTIFUL EARS!!!!
We will go back in September (after our trip to Disney --whoo-hoo!) for a re-check and after that Dr. Jones will follow us over the next 2 years and then will send us on our merry way. Can you believe it-----Chapter Closed!









post signature


6 comments:

The Northcutt's said...

I started shedding happy tears after reading all this. What a trooper Nate has been!! I am so so happy for all of you.

Wilson's Winners said...

I can't believe more than 6 1/2 years ago we were kissing his little ear in the delivery room - and now you would never know it was little! It feels like yesterday:-) WAY. TO. GO. Nate!

by: Allison said...

I am also shedding tears after reading this. Congrats to ALL of you on the successful surgeries.I know Thursday will be a big day at The Foster house. Congrats Nate you made it and now have 2 perfect ears:)

Maggie M. Cooper said...

So glad yall are over this chapter in his life! Wonderful news!

courtney said...

Wow! You have got to just be so excited. :) What a big guy!!

Weeks said...

We have never met, and we have only communicated once via email. My son, Corbin, is 2.5 years old with microtia/atresia on the left side. Reading your success story is really inspiring. It seems like Nathan has done so well through everything. I pray for the same for my family!! Congratulations! I noticed what looked like an ear canal. Did you opt to have one made or is that just the illusion of one? We are still in the researching stage of everything...