Saturday, June 20, 2009

A New Chapter Begins..........

5 Years has come and gone, and I absolutely cannot believe it!!!! It seems like yesterday that we were saying " oh, we've got 5 yrs before we have to worry about his surgeries". Well guess what folks, it's time!!!!



We leave tomorrow for Atlanta. Our Monday morning is full of pre-op appts and we report to the hospital bright and early on Tuesday morning. Nathan's surgery is scheduled for 11:00 est. time. Now, don't think we aren't going to do this trip up.......six flags first thing on Sunday and the Braves game Monday night. We decided we needed to make it fun for him as long as we could.

Nathan says he is excited about getting his ear fixed, which is definitely a different tune than what he was saying a year ago. It's his mom and dad that are a wreck. Please pray for ALL of us!!!!



This past week we made a trip to the hospital where I work so Nate could see how people in the O.R. would look.....my sweet coworkers sent him home with a mask and surgical cap to play with. It was great, he now knows it's just a "costume" that the doctors and nurses are wearing and nothing to be scared of.


We have packed our week FULL of pool time because after this week, Nathan will be on "activity" restriction for about 4-6 weeks :(......it's going to be hard to keep him calm and not to active but hopefully we will prevail.



Everybody take a good look at the next picture......this is probably one of the last photos you will ever see of Nathan's little ear ( as it was when he was born). I have been kissing on that little ear ALL WEEK......as funny as it may sound, I am sure going to miss that little earlobe.


I hate to make this post too long but a lot of people have asked me what this 1st surgery consists of so I am going to share a little bit of what Nathan is going to go through.

The 1st stage of surgery is called The Rib Cartilage Graft, the procedure usually lasts 4-6 hrs. They will make an incision in his chest wall and harvest some of his rib cartilage. After doing that, the cartilage will be molded into the shape of his new ear. They will then slide the cartilage underneath his existing skin around the earlobe. That is the "basics" of what will happen on that surgery. Surgeries 2,3 and 4 will happen later in the year.


Lastly, before I quit typing, I must say we are so blessed to be surrounded by people who love our little boy. We have been a little overwhelmed by the outpouring of love in the past few days as we have prepared to leave for Atlanta. Nathan has had so many presents and goodies dropped by our house that I think he thinks it's his birthday :) I can't thank each and everyone of you enough. One day I hope to repay the favor in some form or fashion.

Something else I want to share.....my good friend Jennifer C. has gotten together a prayer vigil for Nathan starting at 5:00 Tuesday morning, lasting the rest of the week. How AMAZING is that!!!! Thanks Jen for everything......on that note, if you think about us on Tuesday morning and have the time to stop and say a prayer for Nathan, myself and Rod, we would greatly appreciate it. To everyone who is a part of the prayer vigil....THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!! To know that because of all of you, Nathan (Rod and I) will be covered in prayer as he goes through his surgery is so comforting. I know God will have his protective arms wrapped around my baby and I believe God will bless each one of you.
And if you have a second moment, say a little prayer for this little guy. Wilson is not going to know what to do with himself with Nathan gone. He loves his big brother SOOOOO much. He will be in great hands, but nobody puts a smile on his face like Nathan can.


post signature







7 comments:

Corey Williams said...

I'll keep you in my prayers!

The Galimore Family said...

You will all be in our prayers! We love you!

Christie said...

Prayers and (((Hugs))) to you all. I hope the pj's work and know that they were made with love (from my Mom)...I imagine she even said a few prayers over them while working on them. I know how scary of a time it is, but the Lord will get you through.

Wilson's Winners said...

Oh - the post brings tears to my eyes - b/c it does seem like yesterday we were in the hospital when he was born and we were saying "5 years." Can't believe it's time, but God's timing is so perfect. Can't wait to see ya'll on Wednesday...Prayers coming your way. LOVE YOU!

by: Allison said...

Rod, Molly, and Nathan-
The Kenty's are thinking and praying for ya'll. I have tears flowing right now knowing this is a hard chapter to begin and it scares me to know we are right behind you as Jansen gets older. Please let us know if we can help while you are in Atlanta. We are just right down the road from ya'll.

Everyday with the Edwards said...

We will keep you in our prayers and hope that everything goes as smoothly as possible!

Julee H. Nappier said...

So much to look forward to you know. Im so excited for yal!!