Thursday, October 16, 2008

Nathan Update!

Thanks to everyone who has called or sent emails. I couldn't call everyone back so I figured I would just post yesterdays events on here. This will hopefully cover everybody who is interested. :)
The trip to UAB yesterday was very informative. We met with a geneticist by the name of Dr. Lose. He was a very nice guy and spent some good quality time with all of us. My mom, aunt, Rod, myself and Nathan filled up that examining room pretty good. He did a facial exam on Nate, then moved to me and on to my aunt. (Reminder: She was born with Mictrotia/Atresia also) After examining us he believes that what Nate probably has is a syndrome called Treacher Collin's. This syndrome is caused by changes in the gene on chromosome 5 which affects facial development. 1 in 10,000 babies are born with it, and there is a 50% chance of passing it down to future generations. If this is what he has, as he grows it should NOT get any worse.
They are presenting Nathan's case and pictures on Tuesday to a genetics conference and we may be contacted by their Cranio-Facial expert. We will not be doing any kind of invasive testing at this time. Just exams and talking about our future plans.
The concern in the future is that with this kind of syndrome you have to worry about the future children in our family ( more kids, grandkids, great grandkids, etc). As the gene continues to pass down to generations the characteristics and defects become more severe. This is something that Nate, Wilson, possibly Stirling and all the other kids we are blessed with will have to know about when they start thinking about having kids.
I know this is alot, and I could go on with more info but I won't bore you. Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. We are so blessed to have such caring friends. God is good!!


post signature

6 comments:

by: Allison said...

The Kenty's have been thinking about ya'll and praying with you. Please keep us updated.
Allison
mom to Jordan and Jansen (LAM)

Julee H. Nappier said...

Keep us posted, too. I know it's a lot to take in, but like YOU said...God IS good!(:

Anonymous said...

God is good and so are you and your amazing family! Give Nate all my love

The Cleggs said...

I have been meaning to call you all day...so I am glad you posted this update. Have been thinkimg about you and glad that the trip went well. Call me tomorrow~ jc

Brandy said...

Never a bore!You are an amazing person and I just admire all of your strength!You are in my prayers always!

Amanda at Amanda's Parties To Go said...

Molly, I've been thinking about you all week and crazy busy with all the parties... so I'm so glad to hear that the news was what you expected. You and Nate are in my prayers!